Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Freedom of Choice


The bedtime-all-request-hour was in full swing tonight when I made the rounds at bedtime. Having sung "I Am A Child of God" the past 472 nights in a row, I knew what Owen's choice would be. So I started the song but was abruptly halted mid-stanza.

"I get to choose the song," Owen proclaimed with much enthusiasm.

(Maybe I'll get to sing something different? Maybe his musical tastes are widening?)

"Pardon me," I say, "what song would you like?"

"Ummm...........

I Am A Child of God, " he says.

OK, well, at least he gets a choice.

On to Drew's room where I remember to let him have his choice, even though I know what song I'll be singing.

Yep, "The Star Spangled Banner" it was.

I look down to see my little boy doing a silent karaoke as I sing our National Anthem. He is mouthing every word.

When I finish he asks what the song was about. Not one to shy away from a lesson about our wonderful country, I go on to explain that the song was written a long time ago when people were fighting to make this land into a country. There were people that wanted to be free to choose how and where to live and not be under a king or queen that took things from them....especially their right to choose.

Furthermore, I told him that his Uncle Kimball is in Iraq (and last year in Afghanistan) and Uncle Merrill who was in Iraq, are trying to help the people there gain their right to choose. And aren't we lucky to be able to make our own decisions?

After digesting this information and recalling the words to the song, "the bombs bursting in air," Drew asks,

"Why don't they just play a game to figure out who gets their way? And if they want the same thing they can just toss a ball back and forth to see who gets it. And if they don't want the same thing then they can just go away from each other. You shouldn't tell other people what to do."

If only it were that simple, maybe my brothers would never have to leave their families.

But I like that it is that simple for Drew.

The innocence of youth. I wish, sometimes, I could get that back.

No comments: