Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kai's Tooth


Get Drew off to school for his second day of kindergarten.....check.

Clean house for Book Club discussion at my house....check.

Host 5 ladies and 10 children for lunch and delightful amounts of girl gabbing.....check.

Welcome home Drew from another successful day at school.....check.

Watch as Kai barrel rolls down 3 stairs and pops out a tooth....check.

What?
It popped out?

Yep, his bottom tooth just shot out of his mouth like a pop gun. Kind of sounded like one, too.

Between the copious amounts of blood and wailing I managed to call his dentist at 5 minutes to 5:00 and was told "bring him right in."

I was sure that he was going to be in terrible tooth pain the entire 20 minute drive to the office. However, after Kai managed to pitifully moan "coooookieee," I had a feeling that the pain and wailing were just about over.

After an inspection from the dentist, Kai was declared "just fine." Just fine if you don't care about a gaping hole in your child's grin!

We were also told that it may or may not (a phrase I loathe) cause damage to the future permanent tooth and that.....I'll quote directly here...."Even if it did, there isn't a damn thing we can do about it." (We really like this dentist. She's just our style.)

So out we went to get some chicken nuggets and fries and begin our life with hillbilly boy.

It is about perspective, right?

Sure it isn't a limb or otherwise necessary appendage. But it was his perfect little tooth that helped to make up that perfect little smile on my perfect little round bottomed baby.

I feel a little bit in mourning. Perfect has now turned into "quirky." And dare I say it....

Red-necky? (I AM from Alabama. I'm sensitive about those kinds of things.)

Now he will be followed by a question...

"Oh, your boy is so cute....what happened to his tooth?"

"Would you look at that smile? Darling.....has he ever been able to eat corn-on-the-cob?"

So, I don't have the heart to post a picture today. I'm admittedly vain (and dramatic, Jay says). I'll gather up my courage and gain perspective and make myself laugh at the whole thing............tomorrow.

Then I'll post a picture.

Oh, give me strength! (that would be the dramatic part)

4 comments:

Alison said...

Oh no! Which tooth?

Marilee said...

it is the bottom right tooth between the incisor and the front. it looks so swollen and bloody and cavernous. i'm still not gaining perspective! Help!

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

Ok, now you guys have to move to West Virginia. I can't be seen with you.

My 3 1/2 year old has a grey tooth right in front that he almost knocked out. I would almost rather it had come all the way out. See, it could be worse.

Brooke said...

Oh, Marilee, I'm so sorry. And this happened after all of our talking about teeth-falling-out-dreams. We jinxed Kai!! Everytime my boys fall I check their mouths for missing teeth.