Monday, November 2, 2009

Ode to Shoes

It isn't a secret, I've shouted it out
I like fancy shoes when I'm out and about.

They dress up an outfit and brighten dull days
They lift up your spirits in so many ways.

They fit when you're pregnant, they fit when you're not.
I like them with colors and animal spots.

I haven't had new ones in too long to count
Shoes are uplifting in any amount!

With moving and babies and renting and cars
Its not in our budget......not important, by far.

But my birthday is coming, so I decided to treat
Myself to some ornaments to cover my feet.

Wedges or peep toes or sneakers or flats
Maybe those boots I should purchase...perhaps.

But what should my wandering eye behold?
3 pairs of boy shoes that are looking quite old.

I look right and look left and look all around
And see 30 piggies right there on the ground.

They're running and skipping and jumping with glee
Not knowing the pleasure they're ripping from me.

Darn them, oh darn them
Oh DARN THEM, I Say!
They've thwarted my plan in the trickiest way.

They have luck on their side
Wouldn't you just know?
They had the audacity to go on and grow!

They grew out of their shoes but my shoes still fit.
So its off to the shoe store, the most dreaded of trips.

It isn't as fun to shop boy shoes for sure.
Its brown, black and navy....to me its a bore.

They got their drab boy shoes and I don't think they know.
How much I was coveting that yellow peep-toe.

Goodbye fancy pumps and black Converse, farewell.
You're replaced by wee small shoes that are destined to smell.

A mother must sacrifice in more ways than one.
But having old peep toes just isn't much fun!

2 comments:

Ben & Diane said...

That was great! I can relate in so many ways to this. I have been wearing the same sneakers for over 4 years and I am starting to get blisters when I go to the gym. My husband says we need to budget new ones in but we wind up needing food more than shoes ;-)

suzanne said...

i love you! i love your blog. i wish i could put my kids' names and pictures on it. then i would be a great, articulate, hysterical, honest, talented mom like you. i appreciate you. i appreciate your voice in this wild ride called "motherhood." everybody feels the way you do, most people just aren't brave enough to admit it. thank you! suzanne (bigelow) nelson