Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Spencer Party

With all the angst I exhibited in the post, "Party Paranoia", I decided to document how I like to do a party. Not that hoop-la and extravaganza are wrong.....I'm just lazy!

Honestly, I love celebrating Birthdays with my boys in a small and intimate way. I love to be able to look at their little faces behind the glow of the candles. I love to see the pride they have as they blow out all their candles with one puff. (I suppress the urge to tell them that blowing out 3 measly candles is no big deal. Wait until you get 33 and see how your lungs do when confronted with that bonfire!)

I love being able to give them a small but meaningful gift that delights them. There isn't a mile high mound of presents to distract and beguile. I like to keep the focus on them and being with the family.

But, alas, I am no dummy. I realize that my kids will want to fly out of the coccoon I've created and have parties where the focus is more on the friends and games than our little family. I'm preparing myself. I'm relishing these years when I can keep them close.....all to myself.

So, here is a pictorial review of how we celebrated our birthdays
last year.

Kai's birth was much anticipated but somewhat overshadowed by
our big move 9 days after he was born! I don't recommend it.

My dad always visits so we can celebrate our collective Birthdays together. November 3-4 is very exciting for us. Drew turned 5, I turned 21 and my Dad turned as old as the dirt! We were at the park down the street to celebrate and play.
We have a tradition of always wearing Birthday hats. I don't know why I don't have mine on. My Dad is always a good sport. He'll do anything for his grandsons!

Jay's Birthday was more exciting for the boys than Jay. I gave them free reign over the cake decorating responsibilities. They took their task VERY seriously. The decorations du jour were pretzels and jelly beans.
Jay was on a diet so he didn't get to experience the lovely taste of pretzel, jelly bean, and germ cake! Lucky him. And don't ask me why we don't have a single picture of Jay on HIS Birthday.

Turning 3 is a big deal. Owen was very proud to have everyone sing "Happy Birthday " to him. He was perched up on that chair like an emperor gazing down on his subjects. Auntie and Uncle Neil came down from Manhattan so he felt even MORE important. The joke was on him, though. His Birthday was really the week before and we didn't tell him! It just seemed better to wait until Carly and Neil could be there. Oh, the deception!
After the cake, we went to the Washington DC Temple to see the Christmas lights. Good thing it was FREEZING out so nobody looked twice at our blue teeth and lips from the frosting.
Here's to a few more Birthdays free of hoop-la and extravaganza.

No comments: