Monday, October 6, 2008

Overheard

Drew:  (whining) I want that rake!  Give it to me! It's my turn!

Owen:  (screaming at the top of his lungs) NO!  I had it first! You can't take it away! It's mine!

       *exchange is repeated 10 or 11 times until Drew becomes distracted
       *exchange takes place while running around a tree in front yard

Fast-Forward 5 minutes....


Owen:  (in a conciliatory tone) You can have the rake Drew.  I don't want it any more.


Drew:  (angrily) NO!  I'm going to take it from you!  You can't give it to me!


Owen:  (now angry)  NO!  I'm going to give it to you!  Here!  Take it!


       *repeat this until the mom comes out and takes the rake 

Fast-Forward 30 minutes....


Drew and Owen were playing "let's go to work" with their bikes.  Drew reminded Owen that he forgot to give him a kiss before he left for work.  Owen happily complied and came in for the big smooch.  


As Owen's lips approached Drew's he became frozen, mortified.  I could read Drew's thoughts...
"What do I do now?  I can't back out!  But I don't want this kid to come anywhere near my lips!  I was just pretending and now he's taking it too far!"


Owen sensed the apprehension and stopped in his tracks....aware that he was about to break some unspoken brotherly pact.  He wouldn't cross that line!  The repercussions were too great!


This is the result of the compromise.




No comments: