Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Autumn



I love ALL things autumn.  I crave the cool, crisp weather and bright, crunchy leaves.  I like warm sweaters and tall brown boots.  I can eat pumpkin bread until I'm sick.  And I don't even mind burning my tongue on hot apple cider.  

My favorite, however, is the pumpkin patch.  Nothing says fall like wandering among the pumpkins looking for the perfect one that will provide you with the best jack-o-lantern on the block.  (I believe I get the crave to carve from my Mom who has never missed a year of making a jack-o-lantern.....and the last child left the house 6 years ago!)

This year, however, started out to be somewhat of a disappointment.  My dreams of autumnal bliss and glory appeared to have been dashed before they even got started.

On our trip to Belvedere Plantation we were not clothed in our coziest sweaters but our shorts and t-shirts.  The 81 degree heat made the day seem strangely upside down and mismatched for our fall festivities.  Not surprisingly, the boys didn't care about the weather or that my vision of the perfect season was baking in the heat and humidity.  All they wanted to do was play.  And play they did!  They swung on rope swings in the barn, rode around on tiny tractors, and searched for their "pumpkin family."  We had a great day and once again I am taught by my little professors.....don't let your idea of the "perfect" day get in the way of your day!

 
*notice the red cheeks and sweaty heads

Much to Owen's distress, our pesky neighborhood squirrel decided to make a meal out of our "Daddy pumpkin."  Since the initial meal, Drew and Owen have terrorized this squirrel any time it dares to set paw on our lawn or in our tree.  It is hunted down with sticks and squeals of, "GET IT!  GET IT!  Don't let it eat our Daddy pumpkin!"  Apparently, the squirrel's taste buds win out over its fear of two terrorizing savages because it keeps coming back for more!!!

When you take three boys to bounce-houses, on hay rides, picking pumpkins and cookie making adventures you discover some things:   
1.) Bring wet wipes and a sense of humor  
2.) Check your expectations at the door
3.) Make everyone go potty first
4.) Try to see things through their eyes
5.) Enjoy the ride, you'll be on it for a while!

No comments: