Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Destination.....Destiny


**This was written last March when I was in the throes of First Trimester blahs.  The photo was actually taken the day I found out I was pregnant and finally had an excuse for the grumpiness and lack of patience!
"By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination."  --Christopher Columbus
For Captain Owen and Grandma, the final destination was Salt Lake City to visit Auntie and Uncle Neil.  It was a long day of traveling.  There were long layovers and delays. Captain Owen was hauling a backpack loaded with necessities such as fruit snacks, crayons and Matchbox cars.  Refraining from kicking the seat in front of him (with all his superhero muscles) took great restraint.  Not to mention the exhaustion that comes from keeping track of Grandma!

The wiggles and whining (dreaded enemies of Captain Owen) were getting the better of Owen so Grandma said, "Owen, just a little bit longer.  You are being so patient!"


But the hour was late, the day had been long, and there was a lengthy drive ahead of the weary travelers.  Captain Owen dug deep and took a personal assessment of what strength he had left.  The conclusion was grim.

After some soul searching to make a thorough determination, he had no choice but to respond with an honest and humble (for a superhero) answer:

"It is not my destiny to be patient!!!"

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.  But, oh how I love this answer!  Perhaps I shall frame it and put it on my wall, for it does my weary soul some good....Even superheroes have a vice!

No comments: