Thursday, March 12, 2009

One Year Ago Today

Yeah, I know. These are a year late.
But I've been busy! I had a baby. AND I moved.

(NOT the most flattering picture....I know.)


I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing this time last year!

I was laying in a hospital bed at Stamford Hospital in Connecticut. I was tethered to an IV bag and a catheter (lovely, I know). I was glued to the clock watching the minutes tick by until I could press my little button. The button that would deliver the nectar of the Gods.....my pain meds. Every 8 minutes I could depress my lifeline and get some sweet relief.

Sometimes I pressed it early. Only a minute or two. I knew it wouldn't deliver what I was after any earlier than 8 minutes...but you can't blame a girl for trying. I was hoping for a malfunction of the timing device. I was hoping for a little luck. Something. Just one extra drop. I was desperate.

Oh, well. I guess the hospital didn't want to make an addict out of a maternity ward patient. Every 8 minutes had to suffice. And it did....but barely.

I was held together with 12 staples on the outside and "too many stitches to count" on the inside. (My doctor wasn't really keeping track but his best estimate was "dozens." I think he was too busy trying to put me back together to worry about counting. My insides thank him for not trying to multi-task!)

I was under strict orders to "move as little as possible" by a man who had never birthed an 8 pound 10 ounce baby through his stomach. As if moving WAS possible! And even if it were, they would've had to decrease my piddly little 8 minute allotment.

But.........

I would endure 1000 staples and many multitudes of stitches to have Kai in my life. I would even do without my blessed pain medicine button, my lifeline. But I WOULDN'T do without my Kai.

I wouldn't do without the memory of him sleeping next to me in our hospital bed all bundled up tight and secure. The one blessing of not being able to move was that the nurses felt it was safe for Kai to sleep right there with me. It was comforting to me. It was peaceful. I was grateful.

March 12, 2008 was the sprint.

I'm in the midst of the marathon now. Only one year down and an eternity to go.

I can't wait.

I couldn't be more blessed. Stitches, staples, scars and all.

Happy Birthday, Teedles!

2 comments:

Ginny and Ben said...

Marilee - Did you get the corner executive suite again? You know, the one with the 360 views and room for a basketball team? It's much more fun when you have a friend down the hall! Did Dr. Morris deliver Kai, too?

The Browers said...

I remember this too.... ok, not all the details, but I remembe rwhen you had him. And I remember thinking how nuts you were for moving so soon after. Happy Bday, Kai! All our best to the Spencer Family!