Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lunch of Champions

Today was THE day.

The long anticipated culinary experience of my third son was about to commence.

After being in school for 15 days, I finally let my kindergartener buy his lunch!  I'd like to profess that I did so because I'm an exceptional mother and wanted to fulfill his dream of bringing $2.35 to school to buy the institution food that had so caught his eye.  But alas, I confess I sent him with his lunch money in a ziploc bag because life got in the way of having a functioning brain and I made a run to my own person hell-on-earth (Wal Mart) and forgot to get more juice boxes.  And on top of losing in the home management game, I also couldn't bring my fingers to make one more peanut butter and jelly sandwich, AND I slept a little bit longer (7:30!!!) than I had anticipated.  Thankfully, the school cafeteria can provide for the dietary needs of my child when I just can't get it together.  

And day of all days!  The lunchroom gods were smiling down on him and it just so happened to be a stuffed crust pizza day in the cafeteria.

The news of that was almost more than his 5 year old heart could manage.

Following a quick warning about remembering to use his napkin to avoid getting greasy cheese stains on his nice school clothes and an empty threat about not being able to buy lunch ever again if he did not heed my warnings, he proclaimed, "This is going to be my best day EVER."

(Well, then.  Maybe I should rethink all those meticulously planned and expensive family vacations!)

After the cream of wheat and homemade bread were consumed and the floor was thoroughly littered with crumbs, teeth were brushed, hair was tamed and bags were waiting by the door......we settled down for our morning moment of calm.  (Ha!!)

Owen opened the Book of Mormon and we worked on our scripture for the week.  After each child did their best to memorize our scripture with minimal amounts of goofiness and mayhem, we were ready for our prayer before the boys rushed out the door for the bus.

Kai was more anxious than normal to be the one to say our family prayer.  After all, he had a big day ahead of him!  Not wanting to squelch the spiritual enthusiasm, I asked him to say the prayer and to be thoughtful about what he said.

This is the basic gist....

"Please bless that while I'm saying this prayer, the bus will not come.  And please bless that while we are at lunch today, grease will not get on our clothes."

Amen to that!!!

 

No comments: