Saturday, November 19, 2011

Life Lessons Learned from a Three Year Old

From Kai:  A Public Service Announcement
"Get your extracise......So you can be extra strong."

Choosing a profession:  Go With Your Gut

When Kai was asked what he wanted to be when he grows up he said without hesitation, 
"A robber!!!"
I told him in no uncertain terms that that wasn't going to be an option.  I asked him again what he would like to do with his life and with only a little hesitation he said, 
"A bad guy!!!"
When I looked at him with my most stern motherly glare and I shook my head, there was a long pregnant pause and he asked in a quiet voice, 
"A mean person?"

Thankfully he is only three.

A moment of truth:  Lessons in Humility

I have a concert coming up on January 1 at the Washington DC Temple Visitor's Center.  There is a lot of music to learn and my pipes are a bit rusty.  I practice in little snatches between diapers and disasters, thankful for whatever time I can get.  While Kai was busying himself with the Lego's upstairs and Cora was busying herself taking out all the plastic containers from the drawer, I was busying myself with a little singing time.  I went for the most difficult part of the song first:  The high belt/mix that happens on the bridge.  I just went for it.  I was pretty proud of myself that I could still hit the notes with the right technique.  It was loud and powerful and a very good first round.  Just as I was about to sing it again I hear from upstairs,
"Mama!  Are you okay?
Do you bleed?"
Obviously I'm in need of a bit more practice.

And finally:  The Art of Debate.  

You must know your position and play to your strengths when any type of debate is taking place, especially when your opponent is a three year old.  Kai's strength is honesty and transparency with a little bit of personality on the side.  When asked if he should be allowed to do something special he explained that he already knew how to behave so I didn't need to remind him:
"I don't act crazy.
I don't act wild.
I don't say dammit."
Well stated.



On our trip to Colorado in early September.  
Kai saying "yah, yah" to get the horse to go faster


Kai hunkering down in aerodynamic mode to get the horse to go faster.  Notice the slow-poke leading the horse.


No comments: