Monday, March 1, 2010

Melting Down

I've lost all creative energies.  Somewhere in the depths of this winter, perhaps buried under the snow, I've misplaced my creative juices.  It feels impossible to write anything or take pictures of anything that seem in the least bit interesting, beautiful, poignant or fun.  I've got a backlog of blog posts that I just can't bring myself to push the "publish" button because they don't feel right to me.  

I've narrowed the problem down to the need/want dilemma.
 
I often talk to the boys about the difference between needing and wanting.  When they whine, "But I neeeeeed a piece of candy."  I respond with a line straight out of the things-you-swore-you'd-never-say-but-can't-stop-from-saying-now-that-you-are-the-mom book.
  
"You need a piece of candy just about as much as you need a cavity.  You should say I want a piece of candy."  (This is followed by the same blank stare that I'm sure I gave my Mom.)


But now I find myself in the same need/want predicament as my boys.  I whine about needing a vacation with just Jay.  I also need to go skiing. I need a bigger dining room table. I also need to watch what I eat and lose a few pounds.  I need to exercise more.  I need, need, NEED........

So I'll do as the hymn says and "gird up my loins, fresh courage take" and march myself right into March....the last vestiges of winter.  I have what I need...my hooligans, my husband, a warm house, food and my health (physical, maybe not mental!).  I'll publish those blog posts because they are what they are, an accurate and perhaps mundane recording of our life.
  
But still, I neeeeeeed a vacation!!!!!!

No comments: