Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Unfortunate Sequence of Events

Today was "one of those days."

I feel like I am the captain of a team that is 0 for 50 and each loss is by only one point. ONE tiny point! Somehow it is harder to lose by one point than to lose by 75 because, let's be real, losing by a lot means you were never in the ball park to begin with. Losing by only one means you just couldn't get your act together and go the distance. Very disheartening. You can smell the sweet aroma of victory but you're not going to get the feast.

And when the other team hoots and hollers after their mere margin of victory...well, you want to go over and duct tape them to the wall, take away all their toys and then climb in bed with a good book.

Here's the play-by-play:

I heard the captain of the "other" team opening the cereal box and leave it on the table. Before I could put up a block, the co-captain threw a hail-Mary and dumped the contents on the floor. Then the third member of the team snuck in for the extra point and stepped all over the Kix, doing the obnoxious victory dance.

Score one for the other team!
Zero for me!

I was a day late and a dollar short. Behind the 8 ball. Running to stand still.

Jay is trying to convince me that it isn't about the battles. It is about the war. So, it is with that little nugget of rubbish that I took the other team to the library and to Costco. Bound and determined to win one of the battles today.

Nineteen books and three kids excited about one day being literate...Score!!! I win at the library!

But......

They won in Costco. (Ask me later how loudly Kai's screeching can reverberate off the warehouse walls. I'm not prepared to talk about it. But suffice it to say...it's like the Swiss Alps in that place!)

So now the teams are all tied up.

Back on home turf I was ready for battle.....

Kai was thirsty (who wouldn't be after the opera he performed at Costco?) and I couldn't find his sippy cup. This isn't unusual, I found it in Jay's toilet yesterday. So I fill up another and go about the dinnertime routine.

I preheat the oven and head outside to start the grill and poke around the yard. I return to the kitchen and smell a funny aroma. I take note of this and head off to put the burgers on the grill and poke around the yard a little more.

Upon entering the house the funny aroma had given way to full-on noxious fumes and the smoke was stinging my eyes. I rush to the oven (preheated to 450 degrees, of course) and discover......



The missing sippy cup.
Kai found a new hiding place

Final Score: Me - 1
Other Team - 4,253,967

It wasn't anywhere close!
There is some consolation in that.

2 comments:

just jen said...

i am SO sorry!

how did it get in there anyway??

Alison said...

I can't tell you how many times I have found "guys" lined up all over the bathroom and (aack) floating in the potty. It seems that's where the losers end up after the battle.
I feel your pain sister!