Sunday, November 9, 2008

Memory



I wonder every day if anything I say actually sinks into Drew's head.  This, I assume, is the core problem for parents since the beginning of time!  After all, the famous apple was eaten because a child didn't listen!

The following stories clearly show that more is sinking in than I previously thought...

When we visit Grandma and Grandpa in Alabama, Drew's favorite book to read is a book about fish.  I'm not talking Nemo.  I'm talking about an almanac, of sorts.  A fisherman's guide to hundreds of fish found in the ocean.  It tickles me to no end to see Drew snuggled up on Grandpa's lap being told about the fish.  He studies each picture and listens intently.  

I haven't given this book much thought since our last visit 5 months ago.  Until...

Our trip to Wegman's (a grocery store heaven!) this weekend was just like any other... very hectic, crowded and somewhat stressful.  I bribe the boys with cookies from the bakery just to make it through without an "incident."  

As we casually strolled by the fresh fish counter I barely looked at the display.  I absently glanced at the large, whole fish perched on a bed of ice.  (Frankly, they give me the creeps with their dull grey eyes and gaping mouth.  I'll eat them but I don't like to look at them!)

Just as nonchalant as you please and quite matter-of-fact-like, Drew pipes up..."Hey, look! There's a striped bass!"  And on to the bakery counter he went to choose his cookie bribe without a second thought.  

I glance over and, sure enough, there lay a striped bass in its glass casket.

The boy knows his fish but can't remember where he put his shoe!

Drew must've listened closely to the tour guide on our recent trip through Luray Caverns... 

Kai has had what we like to refer to in our family as a "nose situation."  Upon close inspection of Kai's nostrils, Drew noted that his nose was like a cave.  

"Why?" I ask, quite perplexed.

"Because he has stalactites hanging in there!" 

Oh, well, of course.  I should've known that, right?  

He knows the difference between a stalactite and stalagmite from the tour guide, but doesn't listen when I tell him to put his clothes in the laundry basket!

Moral of the story:  Score 1 for Grandpa and score 1 for the tour guide.  Score a big fat ZERO for me!!!
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That kid is awesome! And smart! So funny.